Sunday Assembly Knoxville
The Sunday Assembly is a life-celebrating congregation without deity, dogma, or doctrine. Our motto: Live Better, Help Often, Wonder More. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. We are here for everyone who wants to:
- Live Better. We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be, and fun events that just make life better!
- Help Often. Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other.
- Wonder More. Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.
The Sunday Assembly…
- Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
- Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
- Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
- Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs – this is a place of love that is open and accepting.
- Is free to attend, not-for-profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work.
- Has a community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you!), we will be a force for good.
- Is independent. We do not accept sponsorship or promote outside businesses, organisations or services
- Is here to stay. With your involvement, The Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place
- We won’t won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you do it as well as you can
- And remember point 1… The Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have.
What should you expect from a Sunday Assembly event?
Our monthly assemblies are a “pre-brunch celebration of life” that take place the 4th Sunday of each month at The International, a popular local concert venue located in downtown Knoxville at 940 Blacktock Ave. http://internationalknox.com/
Expect great music, interesting and fun live presentations on a wide range of topics, interactive activities to let us share our ideas and get to know each other, games and activities for the kids, and a bloody mary and mimosa brunch for the adults!
Sunday Assembly is different from other groups because even though most of us come together out of a shared non-belief, we don’t feel the need to dwell on it. There is so much that life has to offer, and many of those thing are better when we do them together. Sunday Assembly events bring the secular community together for fun, charity and personal growth.
Besides the monthly assemblies, we also have regular discussion groups, art parties, movie nights, volunteering and charity events, lectures and more!
How often does Sunday Assembly Knoxville meet?
Sunday Assembly Knoxville is a monthly event that meets the fourth Sunday of each month. We also organize 3-4 other meetups and outings each month.
How long is a Sunday Assembly?
The program runs from 10:45 am to about 11:45 am, followed by the Layover Brunch. A live DJ provides the music, LocalMotive serves excellent, affordable brunch, and the mimosa and bloody mary bar is open!
Are children welcome at Sunday Assembly?
Yes. All assemblies are child-friendly, so your kids are welcome to attend. While the adults attend the assembly, our professional sitter will keep the kids entertained with games and activities.
Some of our other events and discussion group topics are geared for adults, but it’s usually pretty obvious which ones those are.
I never RSVP’d. Can I still attend?
Of course. RSVPs help us plan for chairs and coffee, but are not required. We are a growing community, and it helps immensely to know how large a crowd to anticipate.
Is Sunday Assembly Knoxville a non-profit?
Though we are non-profit, we are not yet a registered 501(c)3 organization, but we hope to be soon.
Where do my donations go?
100% of local donations go toward local expenses (venue rental, drinks & snacks, cups & plates, etc.). Sunday Assembly Knoxville organizers are all volunteers.
Sunday Assembly Knoxville
Live Better, Help Often, Wonder More